Today marks Harry Potter’s shared birthday with his creator, JK Rowling. At 37 years old, the boy wonder is a far mandrake cry away from his epic teenage adventures and is instead deep into fatherhood and a steep wizard mortgage.
All is well in middle-aged-Harry’s world, as he most-likely tucked in to a sizable piece of treacle tart and collected yet another knitted Weasley sweater, worlds away from the dirt cake (complete with dirt candles) of his 11th birthday.
To celebrate the Boy-Who-Lived and Queen Rowling herself, here are the 5 best (and 5 worst!) permanent tattoos diehard fans have gotten to honor the series.
- ” You’ll stay with me?” “Until the very end.”
2. The detail in the lettering/scroll on this Hogwarts crest is insane. Never tickle a sleeping dragon!
3. The wise words of Albus Dumbledore feat. Harry in the Forbidden Forest.
4. The minimalist skyline featuring the last three words of the original series makes for one powerful tattoo.
5. This tattoo of the stained glass mermaid in the Prefect’s bathroom (revealed in HP and the GoF) is a perfect recreation of that scene with Moaning Myrtle and her hungry eyes.
For every Hermione there’s a Pansy Parkinson, and the same holds true for the above badass HP tattoos. Here are the top 5 worst tattoos inspired by the Wizarding World that we wish would magically disappear.
2. Severus Snape, or Trent Reznor coming off of a 3-day bender?
3. Okay, we’re not even sure what kind of bird that is, let alone if it’s someone’s Patronus.
4. We’re guessing this was done on the back of the bus with a Bic™ pen and an alarm clock battery.
5. We’re hoping this tattoo was supposed to be Harry’s face after Hermione blasted him with a Stinging Hex to distort his features before the Snatchers caught up with them. …Right?
Happy Birthday, Harry.